The digital revolution is underway and infiltrating all areas: the growing use of smartphones and tablets, the use of social networks in the workplace, the dematerialization of official documents etc. Digital technology has invaded our daily life, both private and professional. Because of this, Human Resources Managers are facing new challenges on both a social and human level and must learn to adapt to their new environment with a digital human resources service.
Who better than a Human Resources Manager to measure the impact of implementing these digital solutions and how easily employees adapt to them?
The Human Resources Manager plays a full roll in the process of digitizing the company and the human resources department. It is up to him to choose the processes to automate and the services to improve by using new digital technologies. He is also the mediator between employees and practices, and must help them to adapt better to new internal strategies.
- Human Resources accompanies teams: because a change of this magnitude often leads to confusion and doubt by employees, human resources is there to support all employees with regards to using the new digital tools and understanding the new approach to a digital human resources service.
- They are ambassadors: The human resources department must position itself on the new strategy that has generated the digitalization of its service. It must promote the digital solution and prove its benefits, both for human resources management and for improving the services it provides to employees. It must communicate and push people to use it so that the whole company enters the digital loop
- They take advantage of the new digital tools: one of the major challenges of the Human Resources Manager is to adapt the new tools at his disposal to improve his department and offer tailored and innovative solutions for each employee. The challenge lies in using the information gathered through the HRIS tool to improve his job and better support employees in this new digital environment
- They must put their priorities in order: the digitalization of the human resources department should not be limited to a simple transition from human to virtual. On the contrary, digital technology allows the Human Resources Manager to save time on slow administrative processes, which prevents him from focusing on the human aspect of the job. Thus, it is up to the human resources department to take stock of the services that need to be accelerated and those on which it must focus more, in order to reorganize and improve its job for the benefit of the company.
Digital human resources technology: multiple possibilities to improve the human resources role
The main worry felt by employees facing the digitalization of their human resources service concerns the distance that could be generated by the transition to digital requests and services that are usually handled manually. There is now a computer and software between human resources and the employee and the employee may feel abandoned by human resources. It is the duty of human resources to prove to employees that this new organization was thought up with employees’ best interests in mind and that it improves the capacity of the human resources service to answer requests and manage needs. With this in mind, digital technology is proving to be an important ally because it speeds up responses to employees’ needs, avoids mistakes and targets expectations better.
The advantages of a digital human resources service
Making your human resources service digital allows you to have in one place all the tools you need to manage the company's human resources. These include:
- The dematerialization of pay slips: this enables better organization and reduces the cost of materials. Now neither human resources nor the employee need worry about losing a pay slip and payroll. So, you have access to the pay slips of the entire company and employees now have a space dedicated to their documentation to better navigate and speed up their requests
- Easier management of vacations and absences: to avoid any errors in the validation of vacations, absences, etc., digital requests for leave and absences allows you and your company to have an overall vision of everyone’s leave and absences. For example, you will reduce the absenteeism rate during periods of high vacation demand (such as summer and school vacations) but allow employees to decide on dates amongst themselves
- Benefit automation: automating benefits reduces discrepancies with wages. Benefits is one of the most powerful aspects of employee loyalty to the company. By optimizing your HR tool by associating, for example, pay and leave and absences, you automatically and quickly ensure a fair and transparent remuneration
- A clearer vision of schedules: distributing the workload requires an overall vision of everyone’s activities. Although the managers of the different teams are able to dispatch the missions fairly, keeping an eye on schedules helps to take a step back on the work done by everyone and to provide useful information to the managers so that they manage their teams effectively. Digital schedules will give managers an overall view of workloads.
- More appropriate training: centralizing available training for employees and allowing them to make requests of their own free will will generate motivation and a rapid increase in skills. Moreover, the employee will feel listened to and free to make his own choices and will take more initiatives by himself to improve. You can also identify the necessary training for each employee and offer training tailored to each employee
- Accurate skills tracking: through the collection of information you have access to through your digital human resources tool, monitoring the development and acquisition of the skills of all employees in the company allows the human resources department to improve everyone's development plans and find talent. Also beneficial to the company is knowing the skills of its employees so as to predict and anticipate possible replacements and promotions
A digital human resources service leads to considerable upheavals in the organization of a company. According to the employees, this modernization of the human resources department can be seen as a beneficial development or, on the contrary, as a distancing on the part of human resources. The Human Resources Manager's role is therefore to reassure them and above all to make the solution accessible and comprehensible for all by highlighting the benefits of adopting these new uses. The main objective of a digital human resources service is to integrate the employee in your solution and to allow the entire company to make the best use of this new digital tool.